Monday, May 4, 2009

The "Express" Lane

Ok, Ok, I suck at keeping "The Weekly Rant" updated every week. Because of this I am changing the name of this site. The Weekly Rant will now be known as "My Freakin Soapbox" But for now the URL will remain the same.

And now onto my new rant.....


I was in Wal-Mart (that’s another BIG rant) the other day to pick up a few small things. As is typical for Wal-Mart, they had 5 lanes (out of 26) open, 3 regular lanes and 2 “Express 10 Items or Less” lanes (one at each end of the store). I walked passed the first express lane because there were about 10 people in line. I walked down passing the 3 regular lanes; each had 3 to 5 people in line with full carts and screaming kids. I saw that there were only 2 people in line at the other express lane so I headed there. As I was only about 2 or 3 lanes away, a middle aged woman, wearing a muumuu and appearing to share one tooth between her and her husband / brother, dove into line ahead of me with a cart full of about 30 or more things. (Mostly coloring books, crayons, legos, paint-by-number books, other educational items and a 12-pack of Natural Light.) I stood there for a few seconds looking between my pack of gum, dozen eggs, and bottle of Mountain Dew in my hands and the treasure trove of MENSA related material in her cart when she turned around looked at the 3 things in my hands, looked at me, then turned around without saying a word. Trying to be polite, I just stood there looking at her like one would look at any talking bag of rocks, and didn’t say a word. I was sure that the checker would explain the “in’s and out’s” of the express lane. I was wrong. But I could no longer keep my mouth shut. Not wanting to start a battle of wits with an obviously unarmed person. I took a more passive-aggressive stance…I started counting each item as the checker rang it up. I wasn’t counting really loudly but loud enough for the muumuu clad preschool dropout, the checker and a few of the people behind me to hear. When the checker got to about 15 I started counting a little louder and kept looking up at the 10 items or less sign that was right above their heads. Needless to say, I received more than a few dirty looks from the sludge at the shallow end of the gene pool, to which I would snidely retort “What?”

After what seemed like hours and the line behind me had grown to around 8 people, the walking proof that Darwin was wrong, was finally ready to pay and leave, when out came the checkbook. ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!! Who in the hell still uses a checkbook to pay for groceries? Fine whatever…finally it’s my turn. I set my stuff on the counter and this dumba** checker looks at me and says, “Sorry about that”. NO YOU’RE NOT. IF YOU GAVE A SH*T YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD HER TO GET IN A REGULAR LINE!

So look, just a few things… if you have a basket of crap (and you’re in a regular line) and someone comes up behind you with only a few things, don’t be a dick, let them go ahead of you. (To answer your question…yes, I do). If you have more than 10 (15) items STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE EXPRESS LANE. And finally, if you’re the checker (in the express lane) stop smoking dope before you come to work, DO YOUR FREAKIN JOB and keep people like the poster child for birth control, OUT OF YOUR LINE!!


2 comments:

Jenny said...

I never know when you're going to add another rant....I liked this one. This one pisses me off, too. If Bob were there he would have been a LOT louder.

Janet said...

Well, one time I asked the checker why she didn't tell people like that to get in another line. She said it's store policy to ignore the number of groceries they have, and simply wait on them. I guess it's too much to expect people to think.